Stone, confined masonry, and traditional RCC

To avoid cutting two trees on the land, I decided to build a single storey (one floor) structure for the school. All in all, we will have 8 rooms including one headmaster's room. Whether or not this is sufficient is something I will discuss in later video or blog posts.


I went to Haldwani to buy Tata rebar (saria), cement, aggregate, pipes and so on. Today I have to buy a 500 liter tank to store water to be used for construction.


Taxi to Haldwani since not many buses are plying due to the pandemic. I can buy a small car for myself but that would cost half a room :-)



The saria and the loading. I bought 30 pieces of 8 mm, 35 pieces of 12 mm, and 5 pieces of 16 mm for the headmaster's room.

Haldwani was tiring and I forgot taking photos during the rest of the day as I was busy negotiating, bargaining, and going from one depot to another.



Bought sand and aggregate, got it loaded on to the truck and hauled up to Badgal Rautela. A makeshift plank was built using tins to 'slide' the material down to the construction site.


This single 16 mm rebar cut to 19 feet in length for a room 12 feet high is being placed using the guidelines elicited by experts on how to build earthquake resistant stone rooms. This will be the only room made of stone. We will put a lintel roof on it and build another room on top of it.






Meanwhile, I grew chillies and tomatoes outside my room. Put homa ash on it. 

Comments

Popular Posts